Welcome to BDJ Online!

Welcome to the Baptist's Digest Journal Online. You will still read the same articles that will challenge, motivate, inspire and inform you in the Christian Life and Doctrine.May God use this blog to whatever purpose to decides to for your life.


This blog is an online ministry of Capitol Bible Baptist Church, Tanza, Cavite, Philippines. You can visit our church's website: www.capitolbiblebaptist.multiply.com.


Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Am I Right, You're Against Choruses?

by Bro. Elijah Abanto

Anyone who knows me well, especially the kids that I minister to in God's church in Cavite, will be amazed once they hear this question asked. What's puzzling for me, is that there is someone who accuses me about this. This someone said, "Then let's not sing choruses anymore, as Elijah said, but hymns only!"


I have nothing against this person, but I will say directly: YOU'RE WRONG. At first I thought that I will never gain anything if I answer this accusation, but, it's enough - I need to speak now. I don't want misunderstandings to continue. First, I'm not against choruses, in fact, I am composing choruses. Just e-mail me if you want to get a copy of those I composed. Second, I'm not against choruses, because we always sing choruses--whether in Good News classes, Sunday School, and even in our services. Third, I'm not against choruses, and if someone will use what I wrote last June 17, that someone will only be put to shame, because what was written was, "If all they sing are shallow songs without some deeper, richer language, the hymns could probably be alien to them later." (Choruses are "shallow" in a way that they are very simple to sing and understand.) Did I say, I don't like choruses? No! Far from it! In fact, if the situation was reversed, "If all they are hymns, without some simple, easy to understand songs (shallow), choruses would be alien to them later." My point is this: not all choruses are correct (which means are biblical), not all hymns are correct, and not all CCM are wrong--that's my stand. Clear?

Besides, my mind is not that narrow.
P.S. This is the definition of song: "a poetical composition; a melody for a lyric poem or ballad; a poem easily set to music." (Merriam-Webster's Online Dictionary) A song has always been a poem, not a prose. Try making one with a prose--it would be ridiculous! Well, someone has just said that hymns are only poems put up with tunes; well, if that's the case, so are choruses--they're just much simple!

No comments:

Post a Comment